Thursday, our flock suffered a loss. The chick I talked in my last chicken update post that was unhealthy died. I was expecting her to died all week. I just hope that she did have any kind of sickness that could spread to the other girls. However, the rest of the chicks seem to be doing very well.
The girls at 20 days old.
Their feathers are coming in on their necks now.
Ameraucana
Browning getting some one-on-one time with one of the Buffs at 22 days old.
Supper time.
I picked up some clothes pins so I could start using out clothes lines to dry our clothes. Now, I just have to remember to use them!
While at Home Depot, we got some herbs to grow in pots. Hopefully, I can keep them alive. I don't do very well with plants. They aren't like animals or people that can let you know they need water or food.
I am looking forward to researching each herb and learning more about them. We got 6 different herbs which are pictured below.
Rosemary
Parsley
Thyme
Basil
Sage
Oregano
We also got supplies to start composting using worms. Daniel and I tried it last summer but it didn't work out so well. We let the compost dry out and the worms died. It also got taken over by some kind of beetle larvae. So, we are going to give it another go this year. I came across a post on Homestead Revival Blog entitled "Vermiculture: Getting Started" and we are using Amy's method for this kind of composing. I am hoping we have success with this method. We can use the compose and "tea" for our herbs and the worms for our chickens.
The finished product!
My next project is to get some fabric soon to make some cloth napkins and dish towels so we can stop using so much paper and also cut down on our grocery budget just a little.
Happy Monday Everyone!!

It is so nice to see the compost worm bin in action. I too also want to make something similar to help compost as well as produce more red worms. Good luck with your herbs! I won the pioneer drying rack via the Homestead Revival Blog and I currently use it to dry my herbs. You are welcome to visit my page too. The little chicks are amazing!
ReplyDeleteYour homestead looks great! Your chickies and herbs look like they are doing wonderfully! (Sorry to hear about the one that died, though...) :(
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this at the Homestead Barn Hop1