Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Woman of Great Wisdom


Last week my family lost an incredible woman... Grandma Whisnante. 

 

Our Wedding, 4 years ago.  She was 92 years old.

She was the matriarch of our family and meant so much to each of us.  Next month, she would have celebrated her 97th birthday. Can you imagine the life experiences she had over almost 97 years?  She had a wealth of knowledge and wisdom that she shared with entire her family.  


During her funeral, Preacher Hill read Proverbs 31, The Wife of Noble Character.  Her life fit much of this Proverb.  I just hope that I can be half the wife, mother, and woman that she was.  Even though I didn't get to spend as much time with her as I would have liked, she had a great influence on me. I hope to pass a lot of that wisdom and influence on to my own children.  

Proverbs 31:10-31 NIV

Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character

10 A wife of noble character who can find?
    She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
    and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
    and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
    bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
    she provides food for her family

    and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
    out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
    her arms are strong for her tasks.

18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
    and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
    and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
    and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
    for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
    she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
    where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
    and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
    and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:

29 “Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
    and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

A few things I will always remember about Grandma Whisnante:
~Her sayings: How Do! 
~Her stories of the past.
~I absolutely love her Strawberry Cake! 
~She had the sweetest Sweet Tea! 
~As kids we would compare our height to Grandma Whisnante's. And think we were grown when we had finally passed her. (She was about 5 feet or less)
~Spending my sick days from school at her house when Mama had to work.
~Playing with Lincoln Logs at her house.
~She was always sewing on something.

I think the one major thing that I will always carry with me is the memory of her holding my son for the first time. I know Jameson will not remember her but I will always have the pictures to show him that He got to meet his Great-Great Grandma Whisnante! Those 5 months of watching her spend time with Jameson  and just knowing that she got to see me as mother are so precious to me.    

Grandma Whisnante meeting Jameson for the first time.  August 2, 2012

5 Generations: Grandma Whisnante, Grandma Vickie, Mama, Me, and Jameson.

A tradition that Grandma Whisnante had was making a baby quilt for each new addition to our family.  When Daniel and I were going through our 3 years of infertility, I remember thinking that I was never going to get one of those quilts.  Well, we did get one!  Jameson's quilt is so special to me. The work that her 96 year old hands put into that quilt means so much to me.   

 Jameson with his quilt made by Grandma Whisnante.  Also, this picture is taken in the yard at "The Little House" while we lived there.  Grandma Whisnante also lived in this house as did just about everyone in our family.

I'm truly honored that I had the chance to know such a remarkable lady and to be called her great granddaughter! I love you, Grandma Whisnante and you will be truly missed! I know you are now with Jesus and Granddaddy in Heaven and I will see you again!

No comments:

Post a Comment